configuring the mouse in Ubuntu

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Sun Oct 8 21:22:15 MDT 2006

On Sunday 08 October 2006 19:34, Russel Caldwell wrote:
> OK, I've banged my head on this for quite a while and haven't been able to
> figure it out. The mouse on my desktop is not responding and I'm not sure
> how to fix it. One Ubuntu post said there were a couple of utilities called
> xf86config and xf86cfg but I haven't been able to find them. I've tried to
> change the file /etc/X11/xorg.config but I think I made things worse
> because mdetect can't detect the mouse anymore. What do I need to do to
> make my mouse work again in Ubuntu?

Have you moved from the default 386 kernel to the 686 kernel?  When I
installed and did that, I had things like wireless break.  The trick is to
make sure you have the linux-restricted-modules installed for the kernel you
are running.  When you install the 686 kernel, it doesn't grab that package
by default.

Just a shot in the dark, but that's the first thing I would try.