[OT] - Backing Up Windows XP to Linux

plug.org at 2nerds.com plug.org at 2nerds.com
Thu Oct 5 11:27:29 MDT 2006

On 10/4/06, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 18:01 -0600, Bart Whiteley wrote:
> > Man page indicates that rsync uses file size and mod-time by default.
> > Force checksums instead with -c.
>
> Interesting.  So, the idea of mounting a SMB share over the VPN and
> rsyncing might work well after all?

That probably depends on your definition of "well". :-)

Even if rsync doesn't checksum the individual files, it still has to scan
directory trees and read file metatdata, both of which I would expect to
be order(s) of magnitude faster when done locally (with the results then
streamed by rsync to the other end) rather than incurring network
transactions for all of the directory reads.

Chris