[OT] - Backing Up Windows XP to Linux

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Oct 4 17:46:22 MDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 15:12 -0400, brianhks at activeclickweb.com wrote:
> This is bad.  If you mount the drive you may as well use cp or copy or
> xcopy.  The real strength of rsync is its extremely low level of
> network traffic to sync the data.  To do this rsync does checksums on
> the data so if you run it over a mounted volume it will read all of
> the date across the wire.  Rsync runs best when there are two
> instances of rsync running, one on each machine to be synchronized.
> This way only checksums are passed over the wire before any data is
> copied.

I've heard this before, but I don't think it's true, based on my
experience.  I can rsync between two disks physically in my system and
it doesn't read much data at all off the local disk except to copy new
files.  If what you're saying is true about how rsync works, then it
wouldn't work at all for local rsyncs (wouldn't save time).  I think
rsync only checksums if it has to.  Could someone who is an rsync expert
clarify this for me?

Michael