[OT] - Backing Up Windows XP to Linux - Status Update

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Oct 4 14:26:51 MDT 2006

On Wed, October 4, 2006 13:25, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 15:12 -0400, brianhks at activeclickweb.com wrote:
>> This is bad.  If you mount the drive you may as well use cp or copy or
>> xcopy.  The real strength of rsync is its extremely low level of
>> network traffic to sync the data.  To do this rsync does checksums on
>> the data so if you run it over a mounted volume it will read all of
>> the date across the wire.  Rsync runs best when there are two
>> instances of rsync running, one on each machine to be synchronized.
>> This way only checksums are passed over the wire before any data is
>> copied.
>
> Good eye.  I was trying to be creative and make it as transparent as
> possible on the Windows box.  But, you're right, this would not be a
> good solution.  Hmm, back to the drawing board.

I appreciate everyones' useful comments. I've revisited cygwin with rsync and tried
using CYGWIN=nontsec with no luck. I double, triple, quadruple checked everything
out. I still have found nothing that is indicating the core problem. I'm still
having the same problem where it is just downloading directories and no files.
Eventually it will get to a seemingly random point and hang. All my googling still
points to a bug in cygwin on XP SP2.

I am still exploring the other options, but let this be a lesson to all those
proprietary OS vendors out there... rsync seems to be a very very difficult tool to
replace. In my opinion there just isn't another tool that offers the same value.

I will continue to investiage all of the other options presented. So far my next
step will be testing the following setup:
Use Unison (thanks Jake) to sync Linux and Windows. After the sync use LVM to create
a snapshot rolling backwards in time. I like the idea of using LVM for snaps
compared to rsync as from what I understand it uses real block level snapshots.
Rsync doesn't really do snapshotting, it does hard linking. I think we say snapshot
just for the ease of communication, but it is not the same at all.

Thank you all who have contributed to the conversation. I have carefully read each
reply and have appriciated the comments thus far.

-Ryan