[OT] - Backing Up Windows XP to Linux

brianhks at activeclickweb.com brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Wed Oct 4 13:12:33 MDT 2006

This is bad.  If you mount the drive you may as well use cp or copy or
xcopy.  The real strength of rsync is its extremely low level of
network traffic to sync the data.  To do this rsync does checksums on
the data so if you run it over a mounted volume it will read all of
the date across the wire.  Rsync runs best when there are two
instances of rsync running, one on each machine to be synchronized.
This way only checksums are passed over the wire before any data is
copied.

Brian