[OT] - Backing Up Windows XP to Linux

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Tue Oct 3 16:27:40 MDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-10-03 at 15:00 -0600, Ryan Simpkins wrote:
> What I want:
> Alternative ideas from you. Is there something like rsync that plays
> better with XP? I want to do some form of snapshotting so it is very
> fast. I want it to be automated. I want the file/backup server to run
> Linux. I want to use FOSS or freeware if possible.

Why not do the following?

1) Put the two computers on the same subnet (virtually) with OpenVPN.
2) Have the Linux server mount the Windows share.
3) Rsync from the mounted share to the back-up dir on the server.

Then, if you wanted to get tricky you could watch the management
interface on the OpenVPN server to see when you have connected.  After
applying logic to see if an sync is needed, you could then call a script
that mounts the drive, rsyncs it and un-mounts it.  All the magic
happens on your trusty Debian server and Windows only needs OpenVPN
installed.

--
Gabriel Gunderson
http://gundy.org