Linux on SPARC

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Oct 3 11:46:43 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 14:16 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Only the most recent x86-64 boxes from Sun use SATA drives.  Anything
> that you're looking at will be using SCSI.

I've got a few SPARC boxes that came from who knows where. They all have
IDE controllers and I don't recall any SCSI. These were designed as
desktop machines, so that's why I'm sure. I don't recall the exact model
number, but here's the CPU info if that helps:

        # cat /proc/cpuinfo
        cpu             : TI UltraSparc IIi (Sabre)
        fpu             : UltraSparc IIi integrated FPU
        promlib         : Version 3 Revision 11
        prom            : 3.11.6
        type            : sun4u
        ncpus probed    : 1
        ncpus active    : 1
        Cpu0Bogo        : 539.03
        Cpu0ClkTck      : 000000001014653d
        MMU Type        : Spitfire

I was only able to get Debian to boot up on it. I think we also tried a
Redhat on it, but I don't remember for sure.

We did have one issue of getting a monitor that played nicely. The box
has a VGA port but only 1 out of about 5 monitors actually acknowledged
the signal. I don't know what's up with that, but something to be aware
of.

Corey