Linux on SPARC

Stephen Ward sjward at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 14:21:36 MDT 2006

> SPARC has had the same 64-bit instruction set since 1995.  They have
> added features similar to MMX.  Older chips won't have newer features,
> but the basic 64-bit ops have been around forever.  The SPARC

Super.

processor is licensed under the GPL.  You can download the processor
> spec and contribute to its design if you were capable of doing so.

Cool. :)

Only the most recent x86-64 boxes from Sun use SATA drives.  Anything
> that you're looking at will be using SCSI.

Excellent.

Thanks for the info and the quick reply.  It sounds like I have nothing to
fear.

Stephen
--
Ray tracing rules: http://ray-tracer.blogspot.com