FOSS Web Mail - What do you use?

Wade Preston Shearer lists at wadeshearer.com
Wed Nov 29 12:28:05 MST 2006

> But I suppose if your whole point is that you don't like using a
> browser, then I guess I won't argue that. I must admit that it took me
> years to finally stop using Pine for everything.

Yeah, the whole web-based OS and all apps web-based makes me shudder.
Applications should be web-enabled, not web-based. Web browsers are
for browsing web pages, not a platform for building applications on.
Examples of web-enabled applications: email, IRC, instant messenger,
RSS reader, photo sharing software. You state that your goal is to
have your information accessible anywhere and have the conveniences
of the internet… all of which are excellent things. Applications
should continue to take more advantage of the internet and remote
server, storing preferences, aggregating, sharing, synchronizing, but
I want speed and reliability. I don't trust the net completely. If it
goes down, I still want my data… and, I want it fast. Cache it in the
back ground. I don't want to have to wait for the internet.