FOSS Web Mail - What do you use?

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Wed Nov 29 12:05:33 MST 2006

On Wed, November 29, 2006 11:40, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
>> Gmail does offer hosted mail for other domains.  I'm not sure on the
>> details, but a former coworker of mine used it for his side
>> business and
>> was happy with it.  I personally can't stand Gmail's interface.  Dunno
>> what it is, but I just really dislike it.  Yahoo's new one is much
>> better for my tastes, although I wish they'd take it out of "beta"
>> already.  Wait, isn't gmail still beta?  That said, I use Thunderbird
>> for my primary email accounts.
>
> I personally don't understand why web-based email clients are so
> popular. They are nice for the rare emergency when you need to check
> your mail at a kiosk or on another computer when you are away, but I
> can't see how people prefer them over a local app for normal use.

I can't speak for everyone, but here is why I like running my own web mail:

- I have multiple systems I check mail from. My mail is always in sync and I never
have to wait for a client to sync folders.
- No messages stored locally means a lesser chance someone can access them
accidently or on purpose.
- I do not have to configure multiple clients each time I add a new system I check
mail from.
- My preferences are stored on the server, so it always remembers how I like things.
- I am pretty mobile. I can check my e-mail anywhere with a browser.
- All of my e-mail and settings are stored on the server, wich makes it really easy
to back up.
- I do not have to allow additional ports access to the server. IMAP only allows
localhost connections on my server.
- I can use Apache to lock down access to my web mail, allowing only certain people
to even see the login screen.
- In the case I need to upgrade to gain features or fix bugs I only need to upgrade
one location.

Well, those are just a few. :)