Provo Internet options

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Nov 28 14:22:44 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 14:14 -0700, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
> > There are enough servers out there who will refuse to talk to you, or
> > will give you a higher spam score based solely on the fact that you
> > don't have reverse DNS. It would behoove anyone running a mail
> > server to
> > get their DNS configured correctly.
>
> Really? AOL is the _only_ server that I have encountered a problem with.

You must not send mail to my servers then. :)

I don't have any hard numbers, but I do see mention of it quite a lot. I
don't personally have any problems with it because I always set up
reverse DNS.

Actually, I do have one anecdote for you. We have one server which hosts
a lot of domains. Our DNS management software automatically adds reverse
DNS entries every time we add a new domain. When that list gets too big
for a UDP DNS reply we start getting SMTP errors because MTAs refuse to
switch to TCP for DNS. Last time that happened I recall being up to my
elbows in trouble tickets for people who couldn't send.

Corey