Provo Internet options

Sterling Jacobson sterling at ilc-it.net
Tue Nov 28 11:54:56 MST 2006

Interesting

Rapidwave does not have licensing yet for video in terms of the iProvo network because we need fiber and network infrastructure to support it.

Of course I'm sure Veracity and MStar didn't have video licensing either when they started on the iProvo network. So I'm assuming there is an option there through iProvo/Utopia or Provo City to resell existing licensing.

But just in case that is not available to us, we do have three options lined up for video licensing when the time comes.

I'm still not convinced working out the "bugs" in the system before letting on other providers was and is actually beneficial to the citizens of Provo. Maybe beneficial to someone on staff in that they don't have to work as hard or come up with the services to handle multiple providers as fast.

>From what I understand of the municipal laws regarding these systems I think Provo is skating on thin ice legally by letting on two providers and not others. No criteria was even published and we are still in the dark from the council and iProvo staff as to WHY one is allowed on and another not.

It doesn't matter to us if they say they never denied our application.

We are losing revenue to MStar and Veracity on a monthly basis in the tens of thousands because we were not allowed on the system at the same time they were even though our application was in process a YEAR before they were accepted.

Of course that's just our business problem.

But I feel we could have supported and serviced our customers that were forced to move to MStar or Veracity better at the time.

I am glad that they are working through the issues and are getting better on data, phone and video. It probably would have been a faster process and more revenue for the city if there had been more than two providers at the time IMO.

We use a Broadsoft VoIP system with nationwide CLEC presence for phone service and have two 1GB feeds from independent providers in the valley to service our customers' data needs.

Let us on the network already!