Provo Internet options

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Nov 28 11:28:00 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-28 at 10:15 -0700, Christer Edwards wrote:
> > I didn't try.  I use DynDNS Custom and it's worked well for me for
> > years.  I personally haven't had a problem w/ reverse DNS causing mail
> > servers to reject my mail I don't think, though I'm sure there are
> > those that do gripe at that.
> On a related topic of email & spam...
>
> In the past I've used postfix to manage my local mail & I had set things
> to send via my ISP account which seemed to resolve any issues with spam.
>
> At this point I'm using Evolution which supports sendmail.  Does anyone
> know the setting or offer a resource for sending the mail through ISP
> proxy in sendmail?  I googled a bit but I think it may be called
> something else in sendmail because I didn't come up with much.

While I prefer to just have evolution contact the smtp server directly,
you can configure your local sendmail to relay through your ISP's mail
server by editing /etc/mail/sendmail.cf and look for the line that says
"Smart" relay host, and add your mail server like so:

DSsmtp.comcast.net

Then restart sendmail.

If you've switched your mta to postfix (which is what most people
probably do), you'll have to consult the postfix docs on that one.

Also for this to work sendmail has to be running (or postfix) I think,
but I could be mistaken.