Provo Internet options

Bart Whiteley bart.plug at whiteley.org
Tue Nov 28 10:35:01 MST 2006

Thus saith an iProvo Exec. on 01 May 2006:

"""
Neither RapidWave nor XMission has been denied service provider status
on our network.
XMission met with us and told us they were wanting to move slowly and
perhaps come on the network in 6+ months.
Rapidwave has a pending application.
Bringing on additional service providers provides additional options
for customers but also increases complexity. We are trying to make sure
all the bugs are out before we bite off more by adding service
providers. I do not think rapidwave is doing any video and does not have
licenses for video from content providers (ESPN, HBO, etc.)
We are soon to more to allow service providers without video so video
might not be a prime factor.
"""
"""
Yes. But perhaps "soon" was the wrong term as I don't know the time
frame. Let me re-phrase by saying I would not be surprised to see the
next service providers to join the network not provide a triple play.
This was always the plan. Get a few anchor service providers that do
triple play and then slowly and carefully open the network to more
providers that may or may not offer triple play. Not all providers will
offer triple play in the end is my best guess.

As the Mayor and City Council do the final approval, I of course have
no final say on service providers, but I know we are likely to recommend
service providers that do not offer triple play. I think they will
approve of that plan and those providers.
"""