Provo Internet options

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 27 16:55:41 MST 2006

> On 11/27/06, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:
>> Anyone recently hooked-up Internet service in Provo?  My
>> sister is moving there and is asking me what's the best way to
>> go.  I don't live there so I don't keep up on the offerings.
>> As far as I know, you have: Comcast (cable), iProvo (fiber),
>> Qwest (DSL) and others (wireless).
>
> I'm on iProvo/Veracity (now "Nuvont" -- Veracity split off
> their residential business into a separate company).  I have
> Internet and phone through them (no television).  They're
> definately not as good as Xmission, but they are getting
> better.  I've heard that Mstar's phone system is worse than
> Nuvont, but I have anectdotal evidence to suggest that Mstar's
> Internet service might be better.

Phone worse than Veracity?  That would be difficult.  Veracity's
phone service was the main reason I dropped them in favor of
MStar.  The other reason was that MStar offers standalone
internet, where Veracity *required* that internet service be
packaged with either phone or cable TV.

For internet, the two achieve more or less the same level of
mediocrity.  The bandwidth is nice, but they're no XMission.

> Though they are quite lame ISPs compared to Xmission, I'd still
> pick Nuvont or Mstar on iProvo over the alternatives in Provo.

So would I, but of the two, I'd pick MStar over Nuvont.