Which scanners work best in Linux?

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Mon Nov 27 15:17:45 MST 2006

Thank you all for your participation.  I chose the HP Photosmart 3100
series all-in-one, partly because of this comment from Doran Barton:

> Hewlett-Packard has been very involved with the community in providing
> open-source drivers for its printers and all-in-one units. So, check out
> their stuff.

and partly because it was the least expensive non-Lexmark available
one day after "Black Friday" (what's so black about it anyway?).

For the record, since nobody mentioned Lexmark, they don't work with
Linux well.  I had an all-in-one 1200x series, and it couldn't print
or scan in various Linux distributions.  I tried Apache 5 & 6, Suse
10.0 & 10.1, Mandriva (Mandrake) 2005 & 2006, and one or two others I
don't remember.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org
http://flfn.org