Which scanners work best in Linux?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 22:08:10 MST 2006

On 11/25/06, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> I know there are HCLs out there, but I'm looking for quick suggestions
> on low-priced Scanners that work with most Linux and Unix
> distributions.  I mostly scan for web viewing so I don't need super-high
> dpi.  I'd like something I can get quickly for a low price at Walmart,
> an Office Store, or similar.
>
> Any recommendations?

I have a Canon LiDE 25.  It works great in Linux and just happens to
be probably the cheapest flatbed scanner on the market right now
(under $50).  It's also slim and usb-powered.

The one drawback it clearly has is that it can't scan at any depth.
Photos and papers will scan just fine but your [insert some strange
item nobody wants to scan] will be a huge furry blur.  Scanning a book
won't be too great either since books generally don't lay perfectly
flat.  This is caused by the "LiDE" (LED indirect exposure) technology
(basically a bar of red, green, and blue LEDs to illuminate instead of
a real lamp).

Don't get me wrong though, I love my scanner (especially for $50!) but
you should know what you're getting into if you get one.