Speaking of Raid 5

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 21:59:02 MST 2006

On 11/24/06, Sterling Jacobson <sterling at ilc-it.net> wrote:
> I just had TWO of the four hard drives in my Raid 5 array die today!
>
> Now I need some help figuring out how to get my data back since I wasn't exactly counting on a double failure.
>
> One of the SCSI drives sounds like two stones rubbing each other at 10k RPM.
> The other just says "Media Error" from my Adaptec BIOS init.
>
> Any ideas?

Is it possible that the failure of the second drive has something to
do with the failure of the first?  SCSI has all kinds of fun
"features" like needing termination on the bus and other such
nonsense.  Does the "Media Error" drive work in some other machine or
do things work better with the "two stones" drive physically removed?

If one of the drives can be talked to you may be able to use a program
like ddrescue to duplicate the bad disk to an identical new disk in
which case there's a remote possibility you may recover your data.

I had a drive failure recently that seemed really bad at first but
ddrescue managed to get it down to only 180K.  This 180K just happened
to be in the superblock but in any case I was able to recover
everything but some time-zone data.  This was not RAID though which in
your case (double failure) actually makes it worse.