Novell responds to Microsoft

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Nov 21 14:30:21 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 14:01 -0700, Brandon Stout wrote:
> Michael L Torrie wrote:
> > Unfortunately the same arguments stand.
> >

> Michael,
>
> I'm not sure I follow you here.  I'll use the less contentious word
> "case" instead of argument:

Let me be a little clearer.  Licensing patents from Microsoft does
absolutely *nothing* for *any* OSS project, from what I can see.

I fail to see how this Novell/MS deal will help Linux in the ways you
suggest.  In fact the opposite is true.  Code from proprietary systems
is a huge danger to any open source project, unless specifically
released by a company (copyrights, patents, license).  If Novell's
patent exchange with MS involves seeing any MS code at all, no matter
for what purpose, than we simply cannot accept any code from Novell to
*any* OSS project.  The risk of infringements is increased
dramatically.

> You made this case:
>
>   The agreement will not help WINE.  I never said it would help WINE, so
> yes, that case still stands.

I was talking about Linux in general in my restate.

> Sidenote:
>
>   I believe WINE developers can actually take advantage of the
> agreement, but that never was my case.  I don't plan to make a case for
> it either - I just believe it.

Well if it means WINE users won't get sued (don't count on that), that
still doesn't actually help WINE itself, as far as development and user
experience goes.

> I made this case:
>
>   I made the case that the agreement will help make Windows games and
> potentially other software more available to Linux users.  You never
> made a counterpoint to this claim - other than for one particular
> product called WINE, and its current GPL license - which can change. My
> point also still stands.

You haven't presented any supporting evidence for your claims either.
How does this Novell/MS agreement help make windows games and other
software potentially available to Linux users?  If you mean MS will sell
linux users software, then I guess that's something.  To expect even
that seems kind of silly.  Microsoft is not interested in making Linux a
peer in any of their major markets.  The server room is one thing, the
desktop is quite another.

Also, if you are under the impression that the overall quality of Linux
will magically increase now that Novell has been taken by MS, I don't
see how you can arrive at this conclusion.

Michael