Novell responds to Microsoft

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Tue Nov 21 12:14:13 MST 2006

   Michael L Torrie wrote:

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 12:04 -0700, Brandon Stout wrote:

I think this may be a good thing, if it works.  WINE works for many
things, but it doesn't for all the things I'd like to use.  The list of
things I use in Windows that I'd like to use in Linux has dwindled over
the years since Open Source has an alternative nearly everything - but
proprietary games will probably never go open source.  I'd like to see
Oblivian, Morrowind, and other games work in Linux, and this sort of
agreement may be the best way to make it happen.  If anything, this
shows Microsoft's informal acknowledgment if they don't cooperate with
open source, open source will eventually take them out of business.

There is no way wine will benefit from this patent agreement...

   Michael,
   Your right.  Please note that I didn't say this would benefit WINE.  I
   said WINE works for many things but not all., then I said I'd like to
   see more things work on Linux, not WINE.  I used WINE as an example of
   something that does not work all the time, and the agreement as an
   example of something that may work better than WINE does.
   Thank you,
   Brandon Stout
   [1]http://mscis.org
   [2]http://flfn.org