Novell responds to Microsoft

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Nov 21 12:06:32 MST 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 12:04 -0700, Brandon Stout wrote:
> I think this may be a good thing, if it works.  WINE works for many
> things, but it doesn't for all the things I'd like to use.  The list of
> things I use in Windows that I'd like to use in Linux has dwindled over
> the years since Open Source has an alternative nearly everything - but
> proprietary games will probably never go open source.  I'd like to see
> Oblivian, Morrowind, and other games work in Linux, and this sort of
> agreement may be the best way to make it happen.  If anything, this
> shows Microsoft's informal acknowledgment if they don't cooperate with
> open source, open source will eventually take them out of business.

There is no way wine will benefit from this patent agreement.  There's
absolutely no way microsoft code can legally be inserted into Wine in
the first place, unless MS agrees to the LGPL which explicitly says
patents cannot be enforced on that code.  It would be stupid for wine,
samba, or any other MS inter-operable software to accept code from
anyone who's in a source code license agreement with MS, given the
risks, and especially given MS's admissions over Linux and patents.  In
fact, unless the code can be proved to predate the Novell/MS agreement,
any code from Novel to these projects must be considered tainted and
cannot be merged into source trees (or even looked at by maintainers).

Michael