FC6/AGP/3d is cool! PCIE?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Nov 18 21:57:10 MST 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-18 at 13:11 -0500, Barry Roberts wrote:
> I just got FC6 on my old Athlon XP with a Radeon 9600.  I was a little
> surprised that the desktop effects (compiz) worked with 0 tweaking.  I
> was downright shocked when I could play ET without any stupid binary
> drivers.  It's noticably slower, but very playable.  This is awesome!

It's a bit more work for an nvidia card.  You have to get the latest
beta driver and tweak the xorg.conf file a bit, enabling some options.
But it does work, and openGL games (while taking a slight hit) work well
and even wobble when the windows are moved.

The only problem I have is that Xorg (because of the nvidia drivers)
eats up a steady 10% of the cpu all the time, when compiz is running.
Hopefully nvidia will fix this.  At work I'm using a plain intel 965
chipset integrated graphics deal and compiz works quite fast on it, and
Xorg has no cpu usage (not even when wobbling the windows).  Opengl apps
also run somewhat respectably, but interfere with compiz slightly.

> The desktop effects (but not ET) even work in a xen0!  Now if I could
> just get a xenu working.

I've heard that there are hacks to get the nvidia drivers working on a
xen0 kernel.  Now if we could just figure out how to get the vmware
kernel modules working on a xen0 kernel so I could use xen and vmware
together I'd be very happy.

Michael