Flash -vs- Applets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 11:06:34 MST 2006

On 11/16/06, Ross Werner <rosswerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://cryptio.net/~shane/ssh/sshterm-applet.htm
>
> I tried again now when pasting it to you and it loads successfully rather
> than crashing the browser. But it still pegs the CPU at 100% for a good 30
> seconds or so. I see absolutely no reason why this should happen. And
> although Java-crashing-the-browser doesn't happen every time, it happens
> often enough to make it annoying.
>
>         ~ Ross

I just wanted to try it on my end with Java 6.  Java 6 has a progress
bar and activity indicator thingy built in.  This particular applet
seemed to load and run okay with java6/firefox/linux.  I saw high CPU
just prior to the applet starting -- maybe they're doing something
heavy duty in the init() method?  Anyway, I'm just trying to see if
things are better with Java 6.  This is one case of that being true,
but I still crashed with the JPython applet on Java 6 so there's still
a ways to go.

No that I have much influence, but I'd like to try and influence the
JRE developers to fix these issues.  Log and track bugs, etc.
However, if they've fixed something in Java 6, I don't want to bring
it up for Java 7.

Thanks,
-Bryan