Flash -vs- Applets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 15:29:16 MST 2006

On 11/16/06, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
> Waaaa... I've seen that applet before, and it worked fine.  Today,
> attempting to load that page in Firefox 2.0 froze the browser and pegged
> the CPU until I killed the process after about 2 minutes.  Konqueror
> loaded the page, but the applet never finished loading.  Even after 10
> minutes it had not finished loading the 200K Jython library.  (The
> applet provides a convenient timer that shows it has been trying for the
> last 10 minutes.)
>
> Bryan, does this illustrate why Java applets are currently a really bad
> idea?  Again, it's not really Java at fault here, it's the poor
> integration.  I suspect the JVM isn't getting the correct proxy settings
> from the browser, which explains Konqueror's behavior, but Firefox's
> behavior with applets is very nasty.
>
> Shane

Yikes!  The same thing just happend to me.  Applets suck!  :-)

Hmmmm...  This is crazy.  I'm sure I could write a well behaved
applet, but that doesn't mean the next guy will.  It shouldn't be
possible to blow up the browser.  Lame.

Now I have a specific example to beat up people with on java.net...

-Brayn