Flash -vs- Applets

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Nov 16 15:22:03 MST 2006

Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 13:00 -0700, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> That would be great.  I would combine it with Jython so I can finally
>> mess with the browser in Python. ;-)
>
> http://www.jython.org/applets/index.html
>
> Pretty cool.

Waaaa... I've seen that applet before, and it worked fine.  Today,
attempting to load that page in Firefox 2.0 froze the browser and pegged
the CPU until I killed the process after about 2 minutes.  Konqueror
loaded the page, but the applet never finished loading.  Even after 10
minutes it had not finished loading the 200K Jython library.  (The
applet provides a convenient timer that shows it has been trying for the
last 10 minutes.)

Bryan, does this illustrate why Java applets are currently a really bad
idea?  Again, it's not really Java at fault here, it's the poor
integration.  I suspect the JVM isn't getting the correct proxy settings
from the browser, which explains Konqueror's behavior, but Firefox's
behavior with applets is very nasty.

Shane