Flash -vs- Applets

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Thu Nov 16 13:00:05 MST 2006

Bryan Sant wrote:
> On 11/16/06, Shane Hathaway <shane at hathawaymix.org> wrote:
>> * allow applets to manipulate the DOM just like Javascript can; and
>
> They can.  Applets can also talk directly with javascript and vice-versa.

Can you point me to a reference of some kind?  What I have in mind is
something along these lines:

class XYZ (Applet) {
   void show(String elem_id) {
     Element e = getElementById(elem_id);
     e.style.display = "block";
   }

   void addMenuHandler(String elem_id) {
     Element e = getElementById(elem_id);
     e.addListener(new MouseListener() {
       public void mouseClicked(MouseEvent e) {
         show("menu");
       }
     });
   }
}

That would be great.  I would combine it with Jython so I can finally
mess with the browser in Python. ;-)

> I know that Java 7 is getting a lot of Applet/JApplet attention, so
> I'm sure they'll improve things beyond where they are today.  But most
> of the things you're asking for are either outside of the control of
> Java, or exist in the JRE today.

Correct, but nonetheless these are major obstacles to overcome before
developers will feel comfortable about developing Java applets.  With
Sun's Java going GPL, it seems like the chance of solving the problems
is higher than before.

Shane