Apache on Linux vs Windows

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 11:26:32 MST 2006

On 11/16/06, Tom <plug at eastmond.org> wrote:
> At work we're trying to migrate from running our J2EE application on
> Windows to running on Linux (RHE4). Our application runs on Tomcat with
> Apache (SSL) in front of it serving up images and stylesheets. We first
> tested performance with just Tomcat running on both platforms and
> unsurprisingly the Linux app ran faster in almost every situation.
> However when we added Apache to the mix suddenly the Windows app
> outperformed the Linux app handily. I was very surprised to see this but
> I'm not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas of where we
> could look to see if we have a misconfiguration? Or maybe Apache just
> runs faster on Windows?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Tom

Tomcat 5.5.x supports using the Apache Portable Runtime (APR) native
library.  The APR is part of the Apache HTTPD code base that handles
TCP connections (SSL and otherwise), and serves up static content with
fast kernel calls.  You might consider installing APR on your RHEL4
box.  If you're not running other dynamic content in Apache (PHP pages
for example), and you're just fronting Tomcat, you're really only
interested in the subset of Apache features that APR gives you.

Read more here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/printer/apr.html

This may be more trouble than it's worth, but the option is out there.

-Bryan