Apache on Linux vs Windows

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Thu Nov 16 11:06:42 MST 2006

On 11/16/06, Tom <plug at eastmond.org> wrote:
> At work we're trying to migrate from running our J2EE application on
> Windows to running on Linux (RHE4). Our application runs on Tomcat with
> Apache (SSL) in front of it serving up images and stylesheets. We first
> tested performance with just Tomcat running on both platforms and
> unsurprisingly the Linux app ran faster in almost every situation.
> However when we added Apache to the mix suddenly the Windows app
> outperformed the Linux app handily. I was very surprised to see this but
> I'm not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas of where we
> could look to see if we have a misconfiguration? Or maybe Apache just
> runs faster on Windows?

Apache was originally built for Unix machines, so I find this hard to
believe.  Stock RHEL4 Apache rpms come with a ton of stuff built in
that don't need to be running - I'd first check what modules are being
loaded at startup.  It could be the stock Windows version has fewer
things in memory and therefore can run faster - I'd compare Apache
conf files of the two.  If you really want a performance increase,
compile Apache from source and statically link all those modules into
the Apache binary.

Also, as has been mentioned, mpm vs. threaded could make a difference
as well.  Apache 2.0 vs. 1.0 makes a big difference too in the type of
files being delivered.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl