Apache on Linux vs Windows

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Nov 16 10:53:22 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 10:11 -0700, Tom wrote:
> At work we're trying to migrate from running our J2EE application on
> Windows to running on Linux (RHE4). Our application runs on Tomcat with
> Apache (SSL) in front of it serving up images and stylesheets. We first
> tested performance with just Tomcat running on both platforms and
> unsurprisingly the Linux app ran faster in almost every situation.
> However when we added Apache to the mix suddenly the Windows app
> outperformed the Linux app handily. I was very surprised to see this but
> I'm not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas of where we
> could look to see if we have a misconfiguration? Or maybe Apache just
> runs faster on Windows?

If all you are using apache for is for SSL and static content, you might
try another web server that's more lightweight.  I don't know what the
options are, but I do know there are some real speed demons out there
that can, for static content, smoke apache.  Sounds to me this might be
what you need.

Michael