Apache on Linux vs Windows

Tom plug at eastmond.org
Thu Nov 16 10:11:42 MST 2006

At work we're trying to migrate from running our J2EE application on
Windows to running on Linux (RHE4). Our application runs on Tomcat with
Apache (SSL) in front of it serving up images and stylesheets. We first
tested performance with just Tomcat running on both platforms and
unsurprisingly the Linux app ran faster in almost every situation.
However when we added Apache to the mix suddenly the Windows app
outperformed the Linux app handily. I was very surprised to see this but
I'm not sure what else to check. Does anyone have any ideas of where we
could look to see if we have a misconfiguration? Or maybe Apache just
runs faster on Windows?

Thanks in advance,
Tom