Flash -vs- Applets

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Nov 15 22:42:53 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Dennis Muhlestein <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:
> > > XmlHttpRequest requires you to tell it whether to be synchronous or
> > > asynchronous.  This isn't new.  It does lock up the UI while it's
> > > waiting though.
> > >
> > > Greg
> >
> > I never knew that - very cool!  I wonder if there is any other way to
> > do it without locking up the UI.
> >

> I think the above first comment was meant to be read: "It does lock up
> the UI if you use an XMLHttpRequest in synchronous mode".

Researching this, it shouldn't lock up the UI so long as you're not
trying to make any other requests IIUC.  I'm not sure about Firefox
(only saw docs talking about IE), but IE allows 2 connections open at
a time, so you can even have 2 open syncronous connections open at a
time.

I agree they're not using anything new - Google's the first to really
start utilizing it though.  I believe it was they that discovered
(well, published, at least) the iFrame thing.  It was allowed long
before that.  Since not too many people are using it, and not many
people are even using AJAX, syncronous Javascript and XML (Google has
termed it "Comet") could well be the "next" AJAX, especially as more
and more bandwidth becomes available.

We would have to get away from traditional http and the traditional
web server however for it to be any sort of "revolution", and in most
cases it probably isn't even necessary.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl