Flash -vs- Applets

Ross Werner rosswerner at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 22:10:13 MST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 20:18:25 -0800, Michael Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu>
wrote:
>> for example, and they don't show up in Firefox until I scroll) If those
>> issues are addressed I as an end user would be more than happy with
>> them.
>
> I was viewing an applet in Camino (gecko-based) on my PowerBook and
> noticed the same thing.  So it's not a linux-only issue.

I just loaded a page (in Firefox) with a relatively simple Java applet--it
pegged my CPU at 100% for several minutes, froze the browser, and still
failed to successfully load the applet. I had to killall firefox-bin.
That's why I hate Java applets. An applet should *not* cause my browser to
crash, even if it's a malicious applet, first of all (which this wasn't).
Second, they should download quickly and open quickly. Preferably with
some sort of notification of how far along they are, like most Flash does.

None of this, of course, is a problem inherent with Java. I can download
an applet jar and run it from the command-line in a fraction of the time
it takes the browser plugin to load, and it provides a much nicer
experience (and if the applet crashes, it doesn't take the rest of my
browser with it). But the fact of the matter is that I've rarely had Flash
crash my browser, and I've never had it take longer than a few seconds to
start displaying something, even if it's just a progress bar. Even in
Linux, Flash provides a much better user experience, which is (in my
opinion) completely ridiculous.

> Does anyone know if there are free libraries for Java for doing sound
> recording?  I've found a few but they are all commercial.  I have a
> situation where a java applet or webstart app would be ideal (or flash
> actually but that requires a flash server and I don't know activescript
> at all).  Right now I have a client in C++ (Qt) that people download and
> use to record audio.

What kind of sound stuff are you doing? The default Java libraries have
quite a bit of capabilities without any add-ons required. Have you taken a
look at this, for example?

http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/sound/samples/JavaSoundDemo/

	~ Ross