Flash -vs- Applets

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Nov 15 21:18:25 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 20:33 -0700, Hans Fugal wrote:
> Java applets still load way too slow, and there are lots of bugs in
> displaying them. (I have been writing applets all semester for a class,
> for example, and they don't show up in Firefox until I scroll) If those
> issues are addressed I as an end user would be more than happy with
> them.

I was viewing an applet in Camino (gecko-based) on my PowerBook and
noticed the same thing.  So it's not a linux-only issue.

Does anyone know if there are free libraries for Java for doing sound
recording?  I've found a few but they are all commercial.  I have a
situation where a java applet or webstart app would be ideal (or flash
actually but that requires a flash server and I don't know activescript
at all).  Right now I have a client in C++ (Qt) that people download and
use to record audio.

> The real question, however, is how the people creating the monstrosities
> that require applets or flash feel about the issue. I'm no expert in
> this field, but I think it's a no-brainer that these people would rather
> use Macromedia's point and clicky thing than code Swing or SWT GUIs.

The application I wrote that I mentioned above is a perfect candidate
for either a Java applet or a Flash app.  The app needs to display allow
the recording of audio, compress it to mp3 (or something), and upload it
to the server.  It displays text and pictures from the web server.  I
can do this with flash with open source tools (flash compiler, open
source flash server) but it is kind of complicated to set up.  Java was
a choice except that I didn't know it well enough to produce the app in
the time allotted (my sister's grad project requirements), and all the
recording class libraries I could find were commercial.  So I went with
what I know, C++, and have an app that a user has to download from the
web site.  It works pretty well but the applet solution would be more
ideal.

Michael