Flash -vs- Applets

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 15 21:14:46 MST 2006

--- Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 02:08:48PM -0700, Paul Seamons wrote:
>> That isn't quite true.  Flash can play video, move vector
>> based images around (in a cross browser way), play sound, and
>> on.  Applets can maintain a pipe back to the server.  Both
>> Flash and Java can be arbitrarily designed with an large
>> amounts of prebuilt widgets.  Once built they run the same
>> everywhere that has the correct plugin.
>
> "that has the correct plugin" is the important thing.  Flash
> only works on a few platforms, and even then, it doesn't work
> consistently.

I haven't had any problem with Flash working in Safari on my PPC
Mac, but it's unrelliable in Firefox.  Still, my Mac is the only
machine where I can use Flash sites at all: there *is no* native
Flash plugin for FreeBSD.

I'm no great fan of applets, either, but at least Java works on
my platforms of choice.  Flash doesn't.