Flash -vs- Applets

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Nov 15 20:33:19 MST 2006

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 at 11:05 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> applets in a page instead of AJAX?

Java applets still load way too slow, and there are lots of bugs in
displaying them. (I have been writing applets all semester for a class,
for example, and they don't show up in Firefox until I scroll) If those
issues are addressed I as an end user would be more than happy with
them.

The real question, however, is how the people creating the monstrosities
that require applets or flash feel about the issue. I'm no expert in
this field, but I think it's a no-brainer that these people would rather
use Macromedia's point and clicky thing than code Swing or SWT GUIs.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach