Flash -vs- Applets

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Wed Nov 15 20:03:45 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 02:08:48PM -0700, Paul Seamons wrote:

> That isn't quite true.  Flash can play video, move vector based images around
> (in a cross browser way), play sound, and on.  Applets can maintain a pipe
> back to the server.  Both Flash and Java can be arbitrarily designed with an
> large amounts of prebuilt widgets.  Once built they run the same everywhere
> that has the correct plugin.
>
> AJAX can't do any of that (not without massive amounts of hacking).

"that has the correct plugin" is the important thing.  Flash only works
on a few platforms, and even then, it doesn't work consistently.  In
fact, the only machine that I regularly use that can do Flash is my
MythTV box (x86 Linux).  Flash does not work reliably on any of the
other machines I use (mostly AMD64 Linux, PPC Linux, and PPC Mac OS X).
Partly by choice and partly by necessity, I avoid sites that use Flash.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/