Flash -vs- Applets

Jesse Stay jesse at thestays.org
Wed Nov 15 13:59:44 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> applets in a page instead of AJAX?

While they each have their strengths (see Greg's post), I prefer AJAX
when applicable, even with this GPL announcement.  It can do *almost*
everything Flash and Java can do, but with a more open architecture.
To me, as an Open Source advocate, I have to prefer anything that
promotes others to take my code and improve it.  Despite Java being
OSS, the code is still protected from the end user without the person
who wrote it openly providing it.  I prefer something that openly
allows others to see what I wrote and how.

However, if it were a "crown-jewels" type of thing where I wanted to
protect my source as a company, maybe Java would be a viable
alternative, being open source.  I would probably then choose it over
Flash, because of the GPL.

Jesse

--

#!/usr/bin/perl