Flash -vs- Applets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:53:04 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> Hear, hear!
>
> Also, any 'rich interface' that unnecessarily throws huge amounts of
> data at the browser is unnecessarily rude to folks on dial-up, pay per
> use Internet access and other special cases.

I would hope that the RIA would reduce the amount of data thrown at
the user.  You download the presentation system (applet or flash UI)
once and then only data is transmitted instead of both data and
presentation as is the case with HTML.

> A great many 'rich interface' apps also break relevant HTML/XHTML
> standard(s), CSS standards, etc., which makes them fragile, slow to
> load and may break on my browser.

This is actually why I'm interested in this technology.  Browsers are
diverse and buggy.  Browsers render things differently, behave
differently, implement different levels of different standards.
Modern Java Applets work the same on every machine, regardless of the
browser.  Coding to the Java Applet standard would make HTML/XHTML/CSS
standards (and how they are implemented in different browsers)
irrelevant.  Just code your applet and it will look and function the
same on every user's computer.

> A great many 'rich interface' are the products of people who haven't
> yet figured out that the Web is not print, just as it took a lot of
> people a long time to figure out that TV != radio.

I'm wondering if HTTP and the browser can be used for more than what
we traditionally expect from it.  RIA isn't a new idea, but maybe now
it will be a more reasonable direction to take sophisticated systems
that you want to be "web-based".

-Bryan