Flash -vs- Applets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:43:58 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> I think for rich, internet-delivered applications, WebStart is an even
> better method than applets, ajax, or flash.  Such applications are
> web-delivered but run standalone, and aren't even in the web browser so
> you aren't tempted to try clicking on the back button.  I find the web
> browser as an application-delivery mechanism is a pain no matter if it
> is flash, ajax, or java applets.  While ajax has helped web pages be
> more dynamic, and enabled things like gmail to work almost as well as a
> standalone app, I think shoehorning everything into a web browser pane
> is a mistake.
>
> Michael

I personally like WebStart applications better too.  There's not much
I can argue in favor of applets that WebStart can't do too.  The only
thing would be to keep the user in the browser instead of a new
application window.  Users would better have the impression that they
are "visiting" the application, rather than installing it.

-Bryan