Flash -vs- Applets

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Nov 15 12:40:41 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 11:10 -0800, Blake Barnett wrote:
> On Nov 15, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Michael L Torrie wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 11:05 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> >> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> >> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> >> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> >> applets in a page instead of AJAX?
> >
> > I think for rich, internet-delivered applications, WebStart is an even
> > better method than applets, ajax, or flash.  Such applications are
> > web-delivered but run standalone, and aren't even in the web
> > browser so
> > you aren't tempted to try clicking on the back button.  I find the web
> > browser as an application-delivery mechanism is a pain no matter if it
> > is flash, ajax, or java applets.  While ajax has helped web pages be
> > more dynamic, and enabled things like gmail to work almost as well
> > as a
> > standalone app, I think shoehorning everything into a web browser pane
> > is a mistake.
>
> So by that logic, all they have to do is open a browser window with
> no controls and you'd be happy with that?  ;)

That would solve people's complaints about ajax, yes.  In some respects
the argument about not being able to use back and forward is a
red-herring because an application like a word processor shouldn't have
a need to do any kind of back or forward navigating.  Even in g-mail you
shouldn't worry about the back button.  I don't have a back button on my
Evolution e-mail client and it works just fine.  I just click on the
folder or message I want to see, then click on a new one.  There are
anything to do with navigation as one would think of while browsing
simple hypertext documents.

Xul applications run in a browser window but with no controls other than
the ones created by the xul app itself.  And they, like java webstart
apps, are self-contained, web-delivered, and standalone.  They use Gecko
to render controls, text, forms, etc, but the app does not behave like a
web page.

So maybe xul (and whatever MS's version is called) is the wave of the
future.  I dunno.  It's funny that I used to think poorly about ajax
because of the navigation breaking features, but in writing my response
I've convinced myself that such an argument is, in many cases, silly.