Flash -vs- Applets

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 12:39:32 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Hill, Greg <grhill at corp.untd.com> wrote:
> I still hate both of them (Flash and Java applets).  Ajax is fine if
> it's used properly (as in, it only affects small sections of the page,
> not the entire page).  It's overused in many cases, though.  Flash is
> fine for animation (a la Homestarrunner.com), you know, the thing for
> which it was designed.  Anything beyond that is annoying.  I'm not sure
> why Java's open-sourcedness would make applets any less annoying.
>
> Greg

Could you be more specific about what is annoying to you regarding
applets/flash?  My thinking that java being open that would make
applets less annoying is the near guarantee that every one's Linux,
Windows, or Apple computer will have a modern JRE (and if not, it will
be really easy to get one).  As you said, Flash was designed for
animations.  Applets were designed to create rich internet
applications.

-Bryan