Flash -vs- Applets

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Nov 15 12:01:41 MST 2006

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 11:14:03AM -0700, Matthew Walker wrote:

> On Wed, November 15, 2006 11:05 am, Bryan Sant wrote:
> > Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> > as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> > OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> > applets in a page instead of AJAX?
> >

> Any 'rich interface' that breaks my back and forward buttons is bad design.
>
> Any 'rich interface' that I can't bookmark and return to the same state
> (barring login issues, form submissions, etc) is bad design.
>
> So... no. I'm not a fan of Java/Flash, and in many cases AJAX. They break
> the functionality of my browser in rude ways.

Hear, hear!

Also, any 'rich interface' that unnecessarily throws huge amounts of
data at the browser is unnecessarily rude to folks on dial-up, pay per
use Internet access and other special cases.

A great many 'rich interface' apps also break relevant HTML/XHTML
standard(s), CSS standards, etc., which makes them fragile, slow to
load and may break on my browser.

A great many 'rich interface' are the products of people who haven't
yet figured out that the Web is not print, just as it took a lot of
people a long time to figure out that TV != radio.