Flash -vs- Applets

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Nov 15 11:53:04 MST 2006

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 11:05 -0700, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> applets in a page instead of AJAX?

I think for rich, internet-delivered applications, WebStart is an even
better method than applets, ajax, or flash.  Such applications are
web-delivered but run standalone, and aren't even in the web browser so
you aren't tempted to try clicking on the back button.  I find the web
browser as an application-delivery mechanism is a pain no matter if it
is flash, ajax, or java applets.  While ajax has helped web pages be
more dynamic, and enabled things like gmail to work almost as well as a
standalone app, I think shoehorning everything into a web browser pane
is a mistake.

Michael