Flash -vs- Applets

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 11:42:35 MST 2006

On 11/15/06, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> applets in a page instead of AJAX?

Interesting question.  When the whole AJAX buzz came around a year and
half ago or so... I thought to myself:

"Great..... Lets write a bunch of crappy javascript code that is hard
to maintain when applets already has everything we need."

Applets were way ahead (10 years?) of their time.  Now that everyone
(wave hands, wave hands) has broadband and we have both swing and swt,
I think applets could be a good alternative.

It seems like on the java front that everyone is backing GWT though.

At any rate, I don't think any application should be written in either
Flash or Flex and when I see an webapp that requires to use them I
normally look for an alternative.

--
grant