Flash -vs- Applets

Hill, Greg grhill at corp.untd.com
Wed Nov 15 11:18:16 MST 2006

> Now that Java is going GPL, does that change your opion about applets
> as an end user?  Would you prefer to see a rich web interface in
> OpenLaszlo (Flash-based) or a Java Applet? How about an applet or
> applets in a page instead of AJAX?

I still hate both of them (Flash and Java applets).  Ajax is fine if
it's used properly (as in, it only affects small sections of the page,
not the entire page).  It's overused in many cases, though.  Flash is
fine for animation (a la Homestarrunner.com), you know, the thing for
which it was designed.  Anything beyond that is annoying.  I'm not sure
why Java's open-sourcedness would make applets any less annoying.

Greg