Basic IDE Controller Card - to wait, or not to wait....

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 16:48:54 MST 2006

On 11/13/06, Kenneth Burgener <kenneth at mail1.ttak.org> wrote:
> I ran out of IDE connectors for my home file server, and I need a few
> more (4 to be exact).  I don't need anything fancy, just something that
> will support 250GB PATA/IDE hard disks, run at least at ATA/100 speeds,
> and will run under Fedora Core 5 (with linux software raid, and LVM).
> Suggestions?

I took a chance on a cheap IDE card and it works great.  The cheapest
card on newegg right now (a Rosewill something-or-other, SiI0680A
chipset) should work fine.  I didn't use the RAID on the card either,
and it doesn't force you to try to use it (some chipsets do that,
pretty annoying) but I actually went out to the silicon image website
and got a non-RAID firmware for it 'cause I had no intention of ever
using their RAID.