Basic IDE Controller Card - to wait, or not to wait....

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Nov 13 15:59:53 MST 2006

Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Kenneth wrote:
>
>> The local CompUSA has a cheap card which I can pick up tonight, but I
>> am not sure it would be compatible with Linux.
>
> Because the IDE card should really only be providing a BIOS link to your
> hard drives, I don't think you need to worry about compatibility with
> Linux or any other OS.  As long as the card provides whatever
> hardware-level magic the BIOS requires to tell the kernel about the
> drive, you should be fine.

I don't believe that's true.  Although GRUB uses BIOS to load the
kernel, Linux doesn't use BIOS to actually talk to the drives.  There
needs to be a Linux driver for the card.

However, there's a good chance the card uses a common chipset, so I bet
some driver in Linux 2.6 supports the card.  The main risk is that you
might lose 15% of your purchase price and a couple of hours.  That's not
a bad risk.

Shane