Basic IDE Controller Card - to wait, or not to wait....

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Mon Nov 13 15:58:16 MST 2006

Kenneth:

> Have you noticed any reduced data transfer speeds using a PCI add on
> controller card, verses using the motherboard built in controller
> cards?

Not at all.  In fact, I think in one of my old motherboards the built-in
PATA slot was slower than the new PCI card.  Thus, I didn't use the
onboard slot at all.

I suppose if you have a handful of cards running and you're doing
immense amounts of I/O, it's possible you'll saturate the PCI bus, but
I imagine you'd have the same problem with the onboard slot anyway.
There's only so much I/O bandwidth to go around.

Jeff