Basic IDE Controller Card - to wait, or not to wait....

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.net
Mon Nov 13 15:32:15 MST 2006

Kenneth wrote:

> The local CompUSA has a cheap card which I can pick up tonight, but I
> am not sure it would be compatible with Linux.

Because the IDE card should really only be providing a BIOS link to your
hard drives, I don't think you need to worry about compatibility with
Linux or any other OS.  As long as the card provides whatever
hardware-level magic the BIOS requires to tell the kernel about the
drive, you should be fine.

That's not very helpful, I know. :)  But I can tell you that I've used
Promise Ultra133 ATA PCI cards in several Linux servers without
problems.  They weren't the exact model you're showing here (for
example, they didn't include hardware RAID).  But they came up in the
kernel as /dev/hdk and so forth.

HTH,
Jeff