Official announcement of Java and the GPL

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Mon Nov 13 13:13:49 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 06:35 -0700, Michael Torrie wrote:
> At the risk of re-opening an old thread that I am guilty of
> prolonging, details of the Java GPL release are trickling out.

The ad on the product page http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/
says - "Always Open. Now Free."

Is that right?  I don't think that captures the essence of what's
happened.  I like "Always free. Now Free." or something like that.

Anyway, it goes without saying that this was a huge move on Sun's part
and will be great for all involved.  Good work Sun.